Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up Your Cupcake

Connect with other women from all over the world! Share advice, get support, & make lifelong friendships.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
Portal
Forum
Memberlist
User Control Panel
Forum FAQ

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Tweet With Us ♥
Poll
What is your opinion on Male Infant Circumcision?
 Pro-Circumcision
 Pro-Parents Choice
 Anti-Circumcision
 I don't have an opinion.
View results

12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
epiod
epiod
Administrator
Administrator

12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Empty
PostSubject: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 8:16 am

Quote :
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

12-Year-Old Mallory Merk decided to try something new with her hair.

Like most 12-year-old girls, she was excited to show off her new look to friends on social media. Things quickly escalated after pictures of Mallory in her new blonde box braids started to make rounds.
Many people found the braids to be ‘offensive’ and just another form of cultural appropriation.

It wasn’t all bad though — a lot of people showed support for Mallory and her new choice of hairstyle.

Mallory later issued the following apology:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We’re not sure if 12-year-old Mallory crafted that apology herself or had help from her parents, but it’s refreshing to see someone make a sincere apology even if their intentions weren’t to offend.
So, we have to ask love muffins — what do you think of Mallory’s braids? Are they offensive? Or are they simply a little girl trying out a new style?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Do you think her hair is offensive?
Back to top Go down
SnarkyCupcake
SnarkyCupcake
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 11:22 am

Everything we do these days makes us fucking racist! I'm so sick of that being thrown around. She looks cute in her braids and shame on anyone who targeted this young girl and turned her into a victim of harassment/bullying (because that's what it is).
Back to top Go down
Wendynas
Wendynas
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 11:59 am

Her hair is not offensive. I agree with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. It so easy for someone to label you over anything you do. She is 12. She was looking for a fun new hairstyle. Also, I do not believe that any race, creed, or religion have patented braids.
Back to top Go down
epiod
epiod
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Braids have been around for centuries and not one certain culture can claim ownership of the style because it is theirs or it originated with them. It just so happens that braids is a common hairstyle among african americans currently. But anyone can wear them.

I don't think that the child should have apologized either, there was really nothing for her to be sorry for.
Back to top Go down
Bethers
Bethers
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Fucking really? Race card again? Cute braids on her and she shouldn't have to do what she did! So who has the copyright for this hairstyle? No one.
Back to top Go down
prdlatinamami
prdlatinamami
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2015 9:04 am

I shared this on my facebook page a few days ago! I was so outraged.

This is what I posted: "Really?! I wore braids as a kid. My kids wear braids. Hair is not racist unless someone makes it. Does anybody say or get on anybody for wearing a blonde weave....so why is this poor girl getting bullied and saying it's not allowed and racist! No this Lil girl was just excited and showing it off, ur making it racist! Is hair people and it's different styles!"

" I'm so sick of everyone making everything racist! It's hair. I wear braids incorporated with my styles now today, the same with my girls. Braids go back ages and in all cultures. People are so unreal. Everybody says they want racism to end, but yet make comments and an uproar like this."

Like Tori said and I stated in my comment, braids go back centuries and all colors and races wore them...Not one color or race can claim a hairstyle.

Last edited by prdlatinamami on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled)
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids   12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12-Year-Old White Girl Criticized For Having Braids

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1