Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up Your Cupcake

Connect with other women from all over the world! Share advice, get support, & make lifelong friendships.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
Portal
Forum
Memberlist
User Control Panel
Forum FAQ

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Tweet With Us ♥
Poll
What is your opinion on Male Infant Circumcision?
 Pro-Circumcision
 Pro-Parents Choice
 Anti-Circumcision
 I don't have an opinion.
View results

11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SnarkyCupcake
SnarkyCupcake
Administrator
Administrator

11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Empty
PostSubject: 11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey   11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:

That's got to hurt.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
"Just a bit of fun." (via [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

How are we supposed to encourage kids to read when we punish them for reading the wrong thing? You can't control what they will be inspired by; all you can do is expose them to the greater world of ideas. And you can't kill an idea. You can suppress it – keep it tied down, restrained and gagged. You can even beat it into submission. But that will only make it more alive.

That's what's happening in this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. 11-year-old Liam Scholes was attending an event at his school for World Book Day. The students were encouraged to come in costume, dressed as their favorite literary characters. In Liam's case, that was Christian Grey, the BDSM-loving billionaire from 50 Shades of Grey. He really got into character, wearing a gray power suit, and carrying cable ties and a face mask to complete the illusion.

But the Thought Police at Sale High School wouldn't have it. They called Liam's parents and told them the costume was "inappropriate." He was forbidden from appearing in any photos of the event, or taking part in the festivities. His mother, a teacher herself, was shocked, and in an interview with the Manchester Evening News, made some very good points:

Quote :
“One of the teachers went dressed as Dexter and I don't see why sex is seen as more offensive than murder."
Quote :
“If it was a primary school I could understand but it's a secondary school and the book and the film have been everywhere - it's one of the most famous books in recent years and it's not like the pupils will be unaware of it."

That's a cool mom. As for Liam, he made the most reasonable argument of all:

Quote :
"[It was] just a bit of fun."
…which is probably what Christian Grey would say about his lifestyle, if he was from Northern England.

Sources: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
SkyBluePink
SkyBluePink
Blogger
Blogger

11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Empty
PostSubject: Re: 11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey   11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm all for allowing children to express themselves but come on! What makes a mother think that's a good idea? and she's a teacher herself? Yikes!

That kid looks like he's in 8th grade at most too.
Back to top Go down
md2994
md2994
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: 11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey   11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 6:27 pm

I get the idea behind it and appreciate that. BUT there should have been some thought by the parent (and the teacher dressed as Dexter) as far as the audience. He is 11.
Back to top Go down
SnarkyCupcake
SnarkyCupcake
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: 11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey   11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 6:38 pm

I don't appreciate censorship, but I do have to wonder why an 11 year old boy is reading 50 Shades of Grey...
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey   11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

11-year-old kicked out of school's book fair for dressing as Christian Grey

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1