Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up Your Cupcake

Connect with other women from all over the world! Share advice, get support, & make lifelong friendships.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
Portal
Forum
Memberlist
User Control Panel
Forum FAQ

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Tweet With Us ♥
Poll
What is your opinion on Male Infant Circumcision?
 Pro-Circumcision
 Pro-Parents Choice
 Anti-Circumcision
 I don't have an opinion.
View results

Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoddessMelody
GoddessMelody
Administrator
Administrator

Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Empty
PostSubject: Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle   Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2014 9:37 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

An exceptionally dry summer — and a watering hose that was too short — helped archaeologists clear up a centuries-old mystery surrounding Britain's Stonehenge monument: Did the ancient stones make a complete circle in ancient times?

The dried-up grass around Stonehenge suggests that they did. A steward at the site, Tim Daw, noticed in July 2013 that there were some particularly parched spots on the monument's southwest side, spanning a gap in the stones that stand today. Archaeologists say those spots represent places where the ground was disturbed by the digging of stone holes.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"If these stone holes actually held upright stones, then we've got a complete circle," Susan Greaney, senior properties historian for English Heritage, said in an emailed statement. "It's really significant, and it shows us just how much we still have to learn about Stonehenge."

Image: Holes ENGLISH HERITAGE / ANTIQUITY
A diagram of Stonehenge pinpoints the locations of stones and chalk pits known as "Aubrey holes," as well as parched areas where stones might have once stood.
Greaney explained to the BBC that the grass at Stonehenge is watered during dry spells in the summer, "but our hosepipe doesn't reach to the other side of the stone circle."

"If we'd had a longer hosepipe, we might not have been able to see them," she said.

The phenomenon was first reported a year ago by British archaeologist Mike Pitts, and explained in detail in September's issue of the journal Antiquity.

"This is a wonderful piece of serendipitous research, highly productive and promptly published," Pitts says. "If anyone remained unconvinced that new, targeted excavation at Stonehenge is needed, surely any doubts must now be dispelled?"
Back to top Go down
epiod
epiod
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle   Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 3:27 pm

I love this, thank you for sharing!!! Does anyone think that aliens are responsible for this archaeological site?
Back to top Go down
Sunshine9573
Sunshine9573
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle   Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 4:17 pm

That's what I've heard, and a few sci-fi/fantasy novels imply it as well. Even believing in God, I'm don't believe we're the only beings in the universe. It's so vast, there has to be others. Yeah, I think it's very possible and the only plausible explanation.
Back to top Go down
Bethers
Bethers
VIP
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle   Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 pm

I saw that today on the news and that’s totally cool! At first I was like wtf is that…DUH. I wouldn’t put anything in doubt like that. There’s always that possibility. Thanks for sharing that, it’s very cool!
Back to top Go down
SnarkyCupcake
SnarkyCupcake
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle   Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2014 7:35 am

Great share! I'd love to go visit this spot some day.

I've not given the alien theory much thought, Tori, but anything is possible with evidence of course.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle   Dried-Up Grass Reveals the Secret of Stonehenge's Circle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1