Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up Your Cupcake

Connect with other women from all over the world! Share advice, get support, & make lifelong friendships.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
Portal
Forum
Memberlist
User Control Panel
Forum FAQ

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Tweet With Us ♥
Poll
What is your opinion on Male Infant Circumcision?
 Pro-Circumcision
 Pro-Parents Choice
 Anti-Circumcision
 I don't have an opinion.
View results

Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
epiod
epiod
Administrator
Administrator

Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Empty
PostSubject: Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself   Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 8:03 am

Quote :
Last July, 22-year-old Graham Gentles was fired from his job at a Pasadena Target store. Just three days after his sudden termination, the young man ended his life by jumping off the roof of a hotel. Recently, Virginia Gentles – Graham’s mother – filed a lawsuit against the store, claiming that the retailer put her son in emotional distress on purpose.

According to Virginia, Target forced Graham to take a “walk of shame” in front of his coworkers and customers before his termination was complete – a policy that Virginia claims is widespread throughout the company. According to the lawsuit Virginia filed on Thursday:

"The walk of shame is a Target policy to purposely cause shame, embarrassment and emotional distress to any Target employee who is suspected of stealing from Target. The policy consists of employees being arrested and paraded in handcuffs through the Target store in full view of co-workers and customers"

Graham’s mother claims that her son was forced to endure this “walk of shame” in handcuffs, despite the fact that he had not stolen anything. When Graham arrived for work on that day, he was met by police and store security, who immediately placed him in handcuffs under the instruction of two members of Target management. Graham had no idea why he was being handcuffed as he was led before his coworkers and Target customers to an office.

After an interrogation in the office regarding an off-site altercation Graham had gotten into with a fellow employee months earlier, Graham was paraded around the store before being put into a patrol car and driven to the Pasadena police station. Later, he was released and not charged with a crime.

On the day the Graham was fired, he said, “Mom this is the worst day of my life.” Graham, who has Asperger’s syndrome, felt trapped in his emotional pain in the days the followed, having been separated from the many close friends he had met while working at Target. Patrick McNicholas, the attorney helping Graham’s mother sue Target for emotional distress, said:

"The nature of Aspergers he tended to hyper focus and so he was very hyper focused on this. He was hyper focused on his loss and it was a perfect storm which resulted in his death.”

“This was part of his extended family. He had indicated that he felt safe there. This is where his friends were, so he felt as though he lost all of that in one moment"

Target has denied the “walk of shame” allegations. Public relations manager Molly Snyder said:

"Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the friends and family of this individual. The allegations in the lawsuit of a Target policy or practice are simply not true. There is no such policy. As this is pending litigation, we don’t have further comment at this time"

However, Virginia Gentles isn’t ready to give up so fast. After her son’s death, she set up Facebook page in Graham’s memory. Since the creation of that page, several Target employees have come forward with their own “walk of shame” stories. Virginia said:

"This is about holding Target accountable. My point is to get this barbaric [‘walk of shame’] practice to stop.”

“I don’t understand how Target can say this is not happening. I have received many messages from employees and former employees. Some were forced in the walk and others witnessed. They all describe it the same. I am speaking of Targets across the country"

Virginia hopes that by suing Target, the humiliating “walk of shame” practice that her son endured will be discontinued completely, preventing others from suffering Graham’s fate. She said:

"My son was such a nice young man. I just want Target to be honest and admit that this happened and say that they won’t let it happen again.”

“I don’t want any other mother to have to go through what I’ve gone through. This is my only child"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Have any of you ever worked for target? If so did you ever witness this practice?
What are your thoughts on companies using the walk of shame?
Do you think that target should be held accountable for this mans death?
Back to top Go down
Bethers
Bethers
VIP
VIP

Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself   Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 am

Omfg I would have blown that fucking store to pieces!! That is complete and utter bullshit. I hope she owns that gawd damned store!! Walk of shame? Wow....just wow....
Someone with Aspergers can't deal with that shit! I totally wouldn't doubt that he did that because of this treatment. Wow, this really pisses me off. Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself 4190003332 I am tempted to tell Target to kiss my ass!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself   Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2015 12:25 am

This is so incredibly disturbing and very sad.
Back to top Go down
prdlatinamami
prdlatinamami
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself   Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2015 11:53 am

This is disturbing and sad! I've never worked there and don't know anyone that does. This walk of shame is bullshit and wron if it is in the policy. Yes I do think they should be held accountable!
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself   Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mom Sues Target For “Walk Of Shame” That She Believes Made Her Son Kill Himself

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1