Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Please 'Register' or 'Log-in' to start interacting with the forum.
Up Your Cupcake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up Your Cupcake

Connect with other women from all over the world! Share advice, get support, & make lifelong friendships.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Navigation
Portal
Forum
Memberlist
User Control Panel
Forum FAQ

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Tweet With Us ♥
Poll
What is your opinion on Male Infant Circumcision?
 Pro-Circumcision
 Pro-Parents Choice
 Anti-Circumcision
 I don't have an opinion.
View results

The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoddessMelody
GoddessMelody
Administrator
Administrator

The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Empty
PostSubject: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 10:49 pm

So Im reading this book called The Encyclopedia of Unexplained Mysteries.
Last night i ended my reading session with this interesting story!
Enjoy & tell me what you think.

http://www.ghost-story.co.uk/index.php/unclassified/339-the-chase-vault-christ-church-barbados[/mention] wrote:
The Chase Vault, Christ Church, Barbados

A series of unexplained incidents took place in the early 19th century at the Chase Vault, in the cemetery of the Christ Church in Oistins, Barbados. Each time the vault was opened to bury a family member, all coffins but one had changed position.

When this had happened several times without explanation over a number of years, the vault was eventually abandoned. The vault, located about seven miles from Bridgetown, was a large structure built for the Chase family and their close friends. The vault was built roughly half above and half below the ground, which allowed for some degree of protection from the elements.

The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Thechasevault

The first placed inside the vault was Mrs. Thomasina Goddard, in a simple wooden coffin built in July 1807. Two year old Mary Ann Chase was placed in the vault the very next year. The older sister of Mary Ann, Dorcas Chase, was put into the vault on July 6, 1812. Some claim that Dorcas starved herself after she was forced into depression by her father.

A few weeks later her father, Thomas Chase, died and was to be placed into the vault. Legend says that Thomas was one of the most hated men in Barbados.

When the Chase Vault was open for the burial of Thomas Chase, the eight pallbearers who carried Chase's coffin down into the vault were the first to notice that the two lead coffins already in the tomb were not where they had been left a month earlier. Mary Ann's coffin was lying upside-down in the opposite corner from where it had been placed.

The workers returned the coffins to their side-by-side positions and left that of Thomas Chase next to them. The smaller coffin of Mary Ann was placed on top of one of the larger ones. After the crypt was resealed with its heavy marble door, a curious murmuring started amongst the Bajans.

The mourners soon resolved to place the blame on the slaves who had assisted in the burials. The alleged cruelty of Thomas Chase toward his servants offered an easy revenge motive. The case apparently having been solved, the crypt remained undisturbed for four more years.

On September 25, 1816, the vault was opened for the burial of eleven year old Charles Brewster Ames. As with the previous time the vault was opened, each of the coffins were misplaced and thrown about, including the two hundred forty pound coffin of Thomas. The vault was put back in order and resealed.

Fifty two days later, Samuel Brewster was to be buried inside the Chase Vault. This time, a large group of witnesses crowded around the vault, looking for the mystery to continue. The slab of stone, which covered the door, was carefully examined. No defects were found, and the vault was opened. The vault was once again found in disarray. Mrs. Goddard's coffin, the only wooden one placed in the vault, was badly damaged, and was later wrapped in wire to keep it together.

Several investigators, including the Reverend Thomas Oderson, examined the vault. Nothing could be found that would indicate a cause for the strange happenings, so the vault was once again cleaned and sealed.

On July 17, 1819 the vault was once again opened, and once again the vault was found to be in disorder. The only coffin untouched was the wooden, and fragile, one of Mrs. Goddard's. This time, the governor of the island, Lord Combermere ordered his own professional investigation. The entire vault was looked over, and nothing strange could be found.

The coffins were restacked with Mrs. Goddard's wooden coffin being stacked against a wall, as it was so frail. Sand was placed on the floor to catch the footprints of the perpetrators. The vault was then re-closed, and personal seals of the governor were placed on concrete. Everyone of the island awaited the next reopening.

The next opening of the vault was not for a burial, but for the governors curiosity. On April 18, 1820 the governor and several friends traveled to the vault and found his seal unbroken. When the vault was opened, however, it was found that the coffins were in disarray; some even flipped upside down! The sand revealed no footprints.

After this incident, the vault was abandoned, and the coffins were buried elsewhere. The vault still exists today at Christ Church Parish Church, and is still vacant.
Back to top Go down
SnarkyCupcake
SnarkyCupcake
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 pm

That's a cross between creepy and fascinating! I wonder if they can't get a camera in there so that they could monitor it and see if they could catch anything going on.
Back to top Go down
GoddessMelody
GoddessMelody
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 12:12 am

Rachel wrote:
That's a cross between creepy and fascinating! I wonder if they can't get a camera in there so that they could monitor it and see if they could catch anything going on.

Thats what i was thinking too! I know this started back when hi tech was a 4 horse carriage but nowadays it would be great to put a camera in there. Its empty now though so we'd have to put something in there.
Back to top Go down
prdlatinamami
prdlatinamami
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 12:01 pm

I am fascinated with Barbados and a place I really want to visit and is on my bucket list. I love the beauty i have seen in pictures and the culture I have read about. I have also read about some hauntings and mysteries from there. This one is new to me and was a very creepy yet intriguing read. I wonder if an investigation team now a days would go and reenact the coffins and with cameras and gear try to catch what has been happening.
Back to top Go down
epiod
epiod
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Well this is interesting. It just says that the coffins were thrown about... I wonder if anyone actually looked inside the coffins. I'm curious as to what state the remains of the departed was in. Also if there was anything crazy going on where they relocated the caskets to. I definitely agree with you all that they should do another investigation on the location!!!
Back to top Go down
GoddessMelody
GoddessMelody
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:40 pm

prdlatinamami wrote:
I am fascinated with Barbados and a place I really want to visit and is on my bucket list. I love the beauty i have seen in pictures and the culture I have read about. I have also read about some hauntings and mysteries from there. This one is new to me and was a very creepy yet intriguing read. I wonder if an investigation team now a days would go and reenact the coffins and with cameras and gear try to catch what has been happening.

Yah that would be great.
I would hope it would be a very respected group who likes to debunk.
It would be awesome to have some credible evidence that is hard to refute.
Back to top Go down
GoddessMelody
GoddessMelody
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 5:43 pm

epiod wrote:
Well this is interesting.  It just says that the coffins were thrown about... I wonder if anyone actually looked inside the coffins.  I'm curious as to what state the remains of the departed was in.  Also if there was anything crazy going on where they relocated the caskets to.  I definitely agree with you all that they should do another investigation on the location!!!  

You know what sucks?
My book went into alot of detail and on the net i just got this cliff notes version.
They said that the first person that went in for the 2nd funeral saw the babys body tumbled out half way, head down...casket top partially off. They went on with a few of them as well.

They even had a map of how they were first laid and then after they were strewn about.
Ill try and take a pic!
Back to top Go down
prdlatinamami
prdlatinamami
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 11:44 am

GoddessMelody wrote:
epiod wrote:
Well this is interesting.  It just says that the coffins were thrown about... I wonder if anyone actually looked inside the coffins.  I'm curious as to what state the remains of the departed was in.  Also if there was anything crazy going on where they relocated the caskets to.  I definitely agree with you all that they should do another investigation on the location!!!  

You know what sucks?
My book went into alot of detail and on the net i just got this cliff notes version.
They said that the first person that went in for the 2nd funeral saw the babys body tumbled out half way, head down...casket top partially off. They went on with a few of them as well.

They even had a map of how they were first laid and then after they were strewn about.
Ill try and take a pic!

Oh wow that sounds like an amazing book.
Back to top Go down
prdlatinamami
prdlatinamami
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 11:45 am

GoddessMelody wrote:
prdlatinamami wrote:

Yah that would be great.
I would hope it would be a very respected group who likes to debunk.
It would be awesome to have some credible evidence that is hard to refute.

I agree! I would want a reputable team to go in who will debunk, ect. Plus to have the evidence that no one can debunk would be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sunshine9573
Sunshine9573
Blogger
Blogger

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 4:32 pm

Oh wow! This is totally fascinating, I'm curious of the conditions of the bodies as well. I mean, if the caskets were rearranged, who's to say that the right bodies are in their proper caskets. Maybe they should use it again and have surveillance cameras. Love this!
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault   The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Barbados Vault AKA The Chase Vault

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1